Friday, July 13, 2012

Boy Bash on a Budget Jungle Dessert Table



I was so excited to be able to participate in Space Ships and Laser Beams' Boy Bash on a Budget Challenge. My challenge was to create a budget friendly Welcome to the Jungle dessert table using their ADORABLE Lion Printables.

I love any chance I can get to show that it is possible to throw a great party on a minimal budget. The key is DIY projects, semi homemade treats and a little creative thinking. :)

As soon as I saw the lion printables I fell in love with the adorable little lion and the fabulous bright colors! I knew that I wanted to create a table with natural elements and pops of colors. Burlap was a natural choice for the table cloth then I used the party circles to make a garland for the front of the table. I love the color that they added to the table.



I made a DIY frame with the same colors and patterns from the printables to showcase the welcome sign. It looks so great on the table!


To keep the color going I spelled out the word ROAR with paper mache letters and covered them with bright colored craft paper. I LOVE to add words to my tables so to save money I don't permanently cover them, I use double stick tape to attach the paper. Then I sand the edges to give them a finished look. This way I can easily reuse the letters!



Another one of my favorite things to do is to create one high impact item for my backdrop. For this party I used 4 grass skirt from the Dollar Tree and hung them upside down. I used a piece of twine across the top so the ends would bend over and look like the grassy plains. Then for my high impact item I created a giraffe from a piece of packaging paper also from the Dollar Tree. I added the details with scraps of paper I had at home. That's it $5 for the whole backdrop. Isn't the giraffe fun?





For the food I packed a simple sack lunch with a PB&J sandwich and a little pack of carrots with ranch dressing. I served them in an orange paper bag and added a bright piece of paper with a leaf pattern cut out to match the printables. I also served mini water bottles with the adorable printable labels from the collection.




The desserts were simple and semi homemade. To carry out the jungle theme I made treats with an animal theme. Chocolate pudding layered with whip cream to resemble zebra stripes. Green licorice for vines. Cupcakes wrapped in the lion cupcake wrappers. Brownie bites with a chocolate roar. Safari chocolates that my AWESOME hubby made for me and little bags of animal crackers with printable tags.











That's the whole party. You don't have to spend a lot of money to create a fun table that the kids will love.



2 comments: