Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Simple Fondant Toppers



I have shared some delicious semi homemade cupcake recipes with you, now I'm going to share a simple way to dress them up. Making your own fondant toppers can be a great way to add a little pizazz to your cupcakes for very little cost.

I like to make a simple marshmallow fondant. 4 cups mini marshmallows, 2 tablespoons of water, microwave 1 minute and mix in 4 cups of powdered sugar. Now before you get too excited, it is very messy and takes some effort to work the powdered sugar in but well worth it!  


Let me share some lessons I have learned the hard way.  :)
1. Divide your fondant into small sections before rolling it out. {I thought I would just roll it out like a pie crust. That does not go well!}
2. Use a thickness guide on your rolling pin. This will keep your toppers consistent and give you a more professional look.
3. Wear gloves when you color your fondant!  

Once you have your fondant colored you are ready to create your toppers. First, cut out your base circle. To add an extra detail you can poke holes with a toothpick to make a decorative edge. Next, use mini cookie cutters, letters or shapes to cut out a design. Finally, brush a little water on the back to attach your shapes to your toppers.



Using simple shapes and multiple colors can add a lot of detail and personalization to your dessert table without breaking the bank and they are guaranteed to put a smile on the guest of honor's face.



{He loved his Super Samurai Power Ranger Face Mask!}

Have fun creating!




7 comments:

  1. I needed this lesson big time thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute Stefani. Yes, Using the gloves is a must. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks .. I always wanted to know how to make these !! .. i shared this on twitter & Facebook !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing how to make these! I didn't realize it could be so easy to make your own :)

    ReplyDelete